Thursday, June 11, 2015

Super Easy Quiche

I've been on a quiche kick lately. Some quiches are really tedious to make, but really it's nothing more than some eggs, milk or cream, and whatever extra fillings you want. It's a great way to clean out the refrigerator of leftover bits-and-pieces: leftover roasted vegetables, a nub of cheese, leftover lunch meat, etc.


I love that a quiche can either be a breakfast, lunch, or dinner kind of thing. So, when I make one I feel like I am superwoman and have all my bases covered! I am using a Paula Deen recipe and just substitute the spinach, bacon, and Swiss cheese for whatever I want, although her original recipe is wonderful too. For example, I used her recipe and made:

  • Spinach, ham, and cheddar
  • Bacon, onion, and cheddar
  • Feta, olive, and pepperoni (Greek inspired)
  • Grilled vegetable and Monterrey Jack
  • Spanish tomato, onion, jalapeno, and pepper jack


I could go on and on. The possibilities are endless. I just try to keep the amounts used in the original recipe the same, although I think 1 lb. of bacon is too much. I KNOW...WHAT??!!

Spinach and Bacon Quiche
Recipe Source: Paula Deen

6 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
*1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 cups chopped, fresh baby spinach
1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled (1/2 lb. is just fine...make 2 quiches!)
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, or homemade, fitted into a 9-inch glass pie plate

*Note: Sometimes I will use up to a full teaspoon of salt if I am not including a meat that is salty (i.e. bacon, ham)

Preheat the oven to 375°. Combine eggs, cream, salt, and pepper and beat well with a fork or whisk. Layer the spinach, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the egg mixture is set and the top is golden. Cool till warm, cut into 8 wedges.

No comments:

 

design + development by kelly christine studio